Ian and I recently did our engagement photos, and I decided it would be fun to do it ourselves vs a professional photographer. I know hiring someone would have probably yielded better quality photos but we both are very happy with the photos we got.
Reasons I did this:
1. Engagement sessions are usually a good way to choose a wedding photographer and kind of bond/be comfortable with them, and also get engagement photos (duh), but our wedding will be in Kenya so we won’t meet the photographer until a few weeks before the wedding so it wouldn’t have been helpful in that way
2. It’s fun and a good learning process for me because I love photography
3. We saved some cash and got good use out of my DSLR
Wondering how we did it?, if you are a blogger you have probably used a tripod and self timer technique before, for non-bloggers, yes we used a tripod and self timer (you can use a remote but I hate remotes)
I used Ian to focus and kind of frame the photo, clicked the shutter and ran to pose haha…..it was fun, we had some good laughs
We chose a less populated site at the park close to us(with occasional joggers and dog walkers) – it is easier to naturally pose without onlookers and a good way to avoid photo bombers
We had a casual and a dress up session, took us about an hour and a half. We did lots of walking though, since the 2 sites are kind of far apart. Took about 67 good photos haha, I think a professional photographer will do about 300 takes or even more, so don’t gasp at the 67 takes
I think we did fairly well for a first, what do you guys think?
Top//Ross; Shorts//DIY; Scarf//Fred Meyer; Booties//Marshalls; Bracelets//F21; Shades//Target So, I woke up really pissed today because last night, it was predicted to rain all day today, but guess what…..it was sunny all day!!!. I had changed my plans the day before based on the weather, even slept in, just to wake up to a beautiful sunny day (half of it wasted in bed haha). You’re probably frowning wondering what the heck is wrong with me, but I really wanted to hike today, I played with the idea of hiking in pouring rain but a lot of scenarios formed in my head (most of them involved me slipping and rolling down the mountain and into some sort of wild animal, deep in the forest haha). To be fair, it wasn’t that warm outside and the wind was on a whole another level…but I still wore my shorts out 🙂
Lets talk about what am wearing..My shorts are DIY, I made them from old Gap jeans 2 years ago. Super easy for those who’ve never made shorts from old unflattering jeans. All I did was measure the length that I wanted for the shorts then cut 2 inches lower so I could fold and iron the “cut end” and voila!, I had shorts. It’s hard for me to find comfortable shorts since I have broad hips and a smaller waist…..most shorts are made for “no hips and a small waist”, or “broad hips and a large waist”…make sense? :). In short, these shorts are among the few in my collection that I actually like an feel comfortable in.
My top is from Ross, and I love the sheer part on the back..so cute!. The booties and scarf complete the outfit well, kind of dramatic at the top and subtle at the bottom.
Have a nice rest of the weekend friends, I hope it’s sunny and warm where you are 🙂
It’s the start of a new year for me and am excited!, I turned the big 25 yesterday, and I can say I am happy and content with how I have turned out haha. When I was little I always went through my mom’s photo albums to see how she looked when she was in her early twenties, what she dressed like, etc…I wish I had pictures (sadly I do not currently), but she was so beautiful and always dressed well in the 70’s/80’s era. When I was going through these pictures I took yesterday, I remembered those days i spent going through her photo albums…I have always loved photography and fashion/personal style, that’s why I enjoy blogging and documenting my little life, it’s not for any popularity, comparison or gaining followers…I want to have a happy place where I can put my two cents, share my personal style, inspire like-minded people and also have a place to look back at in future. If you don’t know, I always had a blog since I graduated from high school but never made the content public..I decided to make this blog public as a way to connect with my family and friends who live far from me…and also an outlet for me to do something besides daily work/life routine
Along the way I have learnt quite a bit..about myself and also about life in general. Important lessons: 1. Life and the universe in general is way complicated than any human being could ever fathom, we have ways to make sense out of our everyday experiences, but we could never understand why things happen the way they do in this life
2. Everyone things they are right about everything..key word to living peacefully with each other is -RESPECT-
3. Family is important but you will never get along with everyone in your family no matter how hard you try..again the key word comes in -RESPECT-
4. Fear is a killer for dreams and happiness
5. I will never be that extroverted girl I always thought I was growing into haha, what can I say..introverts for life (high5)
6. I hate uncomfortable clothes, I don’t care if they’re in…I want to be dressed in clothes i feel free in
7. I love alone time, esp when hiking
8. I love deep conversations about people’s lives/adventures/dreams (unless if you’re whining lol)
9. Going to church every sunday does not make you a christian or even a good person
10. People will disown you in a second when you’re in a sh*t storm, but beg to hang out when your life is a “party”, so choose friends wisely
11. I have very little patience for liars…its pointless to have friends who lie about everything
12. I want to be a nurse for the rest of my life because I am good at it, it keeps me fit (haha, if you’re nurse you get the point), you never get bored and it is a good balance between happiness and frustration 🙂
13. People will never take me seriously since am 5 feet tall and look like a 12 y/o
14. I also want to be “a photographer” and maybe one day a friend will let me photograph their wedding or family pictures
15. I hope in the next 3 years I’ll get a chance to to visit Asia or South America
16. The 1960’s have my name written all over it..seriously, is there a cuter era than the 60’s..I just want to fill my whole closet with vintage pieces from the 60s!
17. My life is mine to live…don’t take everyone’s advice on how to live it..live wisely, make your own mistakes and learn from them (and vice versa, I don’t tell people how they should live their lives)
18. It’s ok to judge people and vice versa..it’s human, but always keep an open mind
19. I need to take good care of my hair and body..it’s the only place I can live in (an unhealthy body is like a trap..and expensive..healthcare costs etc lol)
20. Finally, have someone you can always lean on..even though i like to be super independent, we all have times when everything is just going against us and if we have no support, it can be very dangerous
I know this post is wordy, but hang in there with me. The dress I am wearing is one my favorites from H&M, the shoes are from seychelles the company, but my bf bought them for me as a birthday present at a local Seattle store (they cost less on modcloth) and the necklace is from Charlotte rouse. I felt so cute in this dress and those shoes were made for walking! I pray to God they last a long time because they are now my daily staple footwear.
Lastly, can we take a moment of silence to acknowledge how beautiful spring is..
I hate to abandon my blog but life happens sometimes and priority shifts.
So…March was my favoriteperson’s easy month, in terms of working, so we got to spend lots of time together.
Last weekend we went to woodinvilleWa for wine tasting with some friends and we ended up doing a brewery tour and distillery tasting, in addition to the wine tasting…. Let’s just say our tummys weren’t too happy and leave it at that 😊
If you live in the Pnw and like wine tasting/summer concerts with wine involved, woodinville will not dissapoint, and they have amazing places to eat too.
So those pictures somehow sum up March…
How about outfit pics and photography you may be wondering? /or not? …… I will hopefully get more time to take pics in the next few days before the end of the week
Aren’t midi skirts darling?, and I wish my style pics came out as neat…oh well 😒 lol
I hope you are inspired too, my next style post will have something to do with midi skirts.
“My thoughts are stars I could not fathom into constellations” – John Green
“I write because I do not know what I think until I read what I say” – Flannery O’Connor
“To be nobody but yourself in a world that’s doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.” – e.e cummins
“First, I am very fascinated by how everyone loves each other, but nobody really likes each other ” – John green
“I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart) I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear, and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)..” – e.e cummings
Hopefully it will stop raining so I can do get out of the house. Today I really wanted to blog but had nothing to say ha!, so I decided to try do a self-potrait.. you like?
I also binge read other blogs I like, and hadn’t had a chance to read recently. It’s so refreshing for me to read other people’s perspective on things related to daily boring everyday life, and I also like getting inspired in terms of food, style, working out etc, some of my faves are delightfully tacky by Elizabeth, twenty seven by Michelle and Curious Natalia. I find this ladies blogs “from the heart” and very unique and personal. It’s obviously very brave for people to share their lives with the wide world web (the good and bad) and I respect such content, despite my disagree-ability or agree-ability. I honestly hope my blog will go into a similar direction, something someone can relate to, not just nice photos/clothes.
Today was weird, I woke up thinking I had the day off and was really confused when work called me to go in….ooppss!, I can’t keep track of my days anymore..
striped dress – thrifted
I also can’t wait for this week to end, its been hellish, but I am trying to stay positive. Do you guys ever miss school/classes?, I do.. I miss learning new things and being excited to finish projects in college, and I honestly can’t wait to go back because I am really struggling to like my new work position. I don’t want to quit just because am unhappy there, I know its only temporary so I’ll give it my best and hopefully things will look up soon.
Our mission in life is not to merely survive but to thrive, and to do so with some passion, compassion, humor and some style
I am glad to see my sister has some stripes obsession like I do.
I hope y’all have a great start to the week, I am definitely looking forward to mine hoping to achieve a lot this month. Enjoy the sister style and hopefully we get to see more of her in future ✌️😘
I have been enjoying reading other blogs and seeing everyone’s take on Valentine’s day and their outfits…so fun
This year for valentines I will be wearing a dress I bought last year from dailylook for a different “dress-up occasion”, it is one of my favorite dresses in terms of quality and style. Since February is somewhat cold here (esp at night) and I hate wearing heavy coats on a night out, this dress will be perfect because it covers me up and still makes me look hot 😍
I think summer came early in the pnw and am not complaining, the weather has been gorgeous all week and I finally got to enjoy it today, even though I have become accustomed to the rainy and cloudy days. My work week has been very eventful and I couldn’t wait to get a break from all of that, and soak up on some vitamin D.
I almost never wear jeans, since I spent half of my teenage life in jeans, so I decided to double it up!, I used a red belt to pop some color since my shoes matched the denim haha, I needed comfortable shoes I could walk in.
Denim shirt: old navy// pants: HM//shoes: target
tips on a double denim look: wear a different tones of denim, don’t accessorize with more than 2 items, wear different color shoes or belt.
Do y’all (pun intended) like the other side of WA?, I felt a little “mid western/southern cowboy” I have to say. I enjoyed playing with the sunset because I never get the chance to take sunset photos, it was fun.
Enjoy the little things in life, one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things.
I think this is a good example of being well dressed without wasting money on clothing items, I hear a lot of girls talking about how dressing up daily would cost them money, but dressing up doesn’t mean wearing designer clothes and new clothes everyday (unless of course if you can afford that – then read no more lol), learning to shop your closet, buy sales items and thrift shopping can result to amazing outfits.
Lastly, is that hair style a Kenyan trend now? Lupita nyong’o had a similar hair style for SAG awards and I saw a lot of girls saying it wasn’t age appropriate and that she looked like a child?
I think it’s very cute and appropriate for adults. What do you think guys?
“Stay inspired and stylish my friends” ✌️